Good morning beautiful people,
Today is a big day for me. My son is now in daycare full-time (he’s 13 months) which means that I’m officially back at work full-time also. Although I never really stopped working, today feels different. Very different. Probably because today is the first day that my husband dropped off our son at daycare so I could map out the walk to the train station that’s not too far from our house. Probably because I had to pack all my food, coffee and water to prepare for my 1:30 hour commute to work. Probably because it just dawned on me that I’ll now be doing this every morning and every night. See, up until a few months ago, we lived rather close to my work. But our offices moved…1:30 hour away from where we live. It’s gonna be an adjustment. But because I truly believe there is a positive side to everything, here’s the good that I see coming out of this:
- My husband gets to spend time quality alone with our son in the morning. Necessary male bonding!
- I have all this time to write posts and think about creative and fun recipes for you guys.
- I have time to think, period! Loll
So come to think of it, this is gonna be great! And frankly, there really is no other way to look at it because I’ve got a long road ahead of me.
Needless to say, I needed a really good and hearty breakfast to bring with me this morning.
I wanted something that would be easy to carry, didn’t need assembly, was satisfying and filling and would make me smile because yes, good food does make me smile. So as I was going through different ideas last night, I finally settled on my decadent granola. That would definitely make me smile in the morning!
This delicious mix of rolled oats, mixed nuts, shredded coconut, dark chocolate and maple syrup pairs well with anything. Whether you want to devour it by the handful, sprinkle it on top of some coconut yogurt or drench it with your favourite mylk, this granola is absolutely divine. I personally love to enjoy it with my new mylk obsession: Ripple’s unsweetened pea mylk. It is just so smooth and creamy. It’s the only mylk my son will drink and we buy it by the case.
I hope this granola makes you smile this morning and let me know how you’ve enjoyed it!
- 2 cups GF rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded dried coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 70% cacao
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 Tbs coconut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- a pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, melt the coconut butter in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together and toss with your hands. It’s messy but so much fun!
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes then flip the mixture around with a spatula.
- Return to the oven for an extra 2 minutes or until the oats and nuts are toasted.
- Take out of the oven and let cool for at least 10 mins.