Good morning beautiful friends,
We have survived Monday and I think this deserves cake! A healthy, nutrient pack, breakfast cake that is… Something a little sweet and just naughty enough to accompany a hot cup of coffee or tea, whether you’re storming out the door with mug and cake in hand or just nestling down in your favourite chair to enjoy some me time before the day gets crazy. Either way, this cake is for you this morning!
I have the fondest memories of breakfast cakes. When I was growing up, my mom used to make her breakfast yogurt cake. On Sunday nights, my mom would make her own yogurt in a weird looking container that she probably owned since the early 70’s. The yogurt would ferment and “cook” all night then chill all day Monday. Then on Monday night, she would make her yogurt breakfast cake with the freshly made yogurt and fresh strawberries. It was a dense, thick and only slightly sweet cake, that kept us full and satisfied well until lunch time. My mom would always serve us a slice a cake with additional fruits on the side like a banana or an apple. And she insisted we eat the fruit. No fruit, no cake!
Needless to say, the cake was always a huge hit in our house and it didn’t last longer then that very morning… Although we always asked my mom to make it more often, she kept it as a treat for us and would never make it more then once a week or even once every two weeks. Looking back now, I understand how time consuming making that cake was since my mom always insisted on making her own yogurt. Being a mom myself now and juggling a crazy work schedule, I’m even more grateful of how well my mom fed us as kids and how she instilled in us the love of good wholesome, homemade foods.
So this cake is somewhat of an homage to my mom’s breakfast cake. Although I don’t eat yogurt anymore, this cake has the same dense, thick and only slightly sweet taste as my mom’s breakfast cake. And I think she would be proud as it is full of good for you ingredients like carrots, zucchinis, applesauce and coconut oil. Come to think of it, I might make it again today, in the gluten free version, and bring her a slice!
Hope you guys enjoy this cake! Leave me a comment and let me know what childhood breakfast you grew up loving…
- 1 1/2 Cup grated zucchini
- 2 Cups grated carrots
- 1/2 Cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/3 Cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 Cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 Cup milk alternative (I used cashew milk)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 Cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 3/4 Cups wholewheat pastry flour
- 1/2 Cup buckwheat flour (replace both flours with 2 1/4 Cup GF flour if needed)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8X8 glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine your shredded zucchini, carrots and coconut.
- Add the sugar, milk, vanilla extract, applesauce and coconut oil and stir to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Whisk to combine well.
- Add the zucchini and carrot mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon to combine evenly.
- No need to overmix, the cake batter will be thick.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased dish and place it on the middle rack in the oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes. The top will be golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.